Malgrat de Mar
Malgrat de Mar is a quiet town of approximately 19.000 residents, located between the cities of Barcelona and Girona, being the last city in the Maresme region, adjacent to the Costa Brava, right at the Mediterranean sea. It’s the perfect location for a relaxing summer holidays at the beach with the family, your partner or with friends, with very good connections to visit the esential spots of touristic interest in the Catalonian region: Barcelona, Girona, Costa Brava, Montserrat Monastry, etc.
Malgrat de Mar is completely open to the sea: has a huge Promenade that goes from side to side of the town parallel to the beach (2,5km) connecting with the next touristic city, Santa Susanna, where you can go walking up to the town of Calella, making a total of almost 9km perfect for biking, running or enjoy a long walk through the beautiful coastline.
Malgrat de Mar has a very pleasant Mediterranean climate:
- Summers have long and sunny days, but not excessive temperatures (usually between 25ºC and 35ºC). At the afternoon the mediterranean breeze brings a comforting freshness that will allow you to enjoy your evenings outdoors.
- In Spring and Autumn you can enjoy the same sun as in summer, but with some rainy days in between, and with very pleasant temperatures (between 20ºC and 28ºC): you can still have a swim at the sea or enjoy outdoor activities. The quietness of the town in this period of the year makes it the perfect destination for those who search for relax and desire to have rest next to the beach.
- From December to February, in winter, temperatures are mild, and only in very few occasions the temperature descends under 5ºC. It is very rare to find a foggy day, snow or hail…
Only 100 meters from the hotel door we have a wide beach of 3km of length with great quality golden sand certified with the blue flag. It is conformed of 4 beaches, del Astillero (1km), just in front of the hotel ares, where you will find beach bars, picnic area and other leisure offers like the children’s mini-club in July and August to enjoy a family day at the beach. We also have the Malgrat Center beach (900m), De la Tordera (900m) and De la Conca (1,7Km), perfect for water sports with its Sailing Club and Windsurf school.
You will also find some interesting places to visit, like del Castell Park located in a hill with a beautiful panoramic view and with walking areas of botanical interest, or the Francesc Macià Park, with more than 40.000m2 of extension with interesting sculptures, plants and landscapes dedicated to children’s tales. There also are places of neoclassical architecture, like Saint Nicolau’s Church, or emblematic modernist buildings, such as the Old Fishery, the City Hall, Ca l’Arnau, Can Campassol or Can Sala Widow’s Tower. As a curiosity, from any of the beaches you will see a big stone known as La Pilona, an artificial platform built at the beginning of the 20th century, that was used as a boarding point of the iron materials extracted from Can Palomera’s mines.
- 5th January : Three Kings parade
- 17th January or its closest Sunday: St. Antonio Abad celebration, patron saint of the animals (animals blessing ceremony).
- Carnival’s Friday: Carnival’s parade at the streets of the city.
- February’s 2nd Weekend: Artisans and Trader’s Winter Market.
- First Weekend after Easter: International Choir Festival.
- 1st May : Artisans Market at the touristic area.
- May’s 3rd Weekend: Artisans and Trader’s Spring Mark.
- 23rd and 24th June. St. Johns bonfires and arrival of Canigó’s Flame.
- July’s 1st Sunday: St John and St. Paul Festivity P.
- July’s 2nd Weekend: Artisans and Trader’s Summer Market.
- 15th and 16th August: St. Roc Summer City Festival, with different activities such as Havaneras concerts, fast painting contests, theater and local dances representations.
- September: International Folklore Days.
- 11th September: Artisan’s Market at the touristic area.
- 27th September: Tourism World Day.
- October’s 1st Sunday: Sardanas Meeting.
- October: International Majorettes and Music Bands Festival.
- November’s 2nd fortnight: Gastronomical Days of “Ganxet” beans.
- 6th to 8th December: St. Nicolau Winter City Festival, with different activities such as Giant Figures concentration, farm and artisanal product’s Market, concerts…